Monday, June 21, 2010

Clipped wings



Just a few cuts, but in the right places,
and the sky can fall from your grasp.
The breeze is still there, and the blue still beckons
but flight without lift is futile


so on the ground you’ll stay.

I didn’t want to lose the sky,
for it is where I belong.
and those with wings were meant to soar
the wind still calls my name

not to say that the ground is bad
for the basics of life are there
but the sky calls my name while I’m here on the dirt,
and I yearn to answer her call

sweet blue, oh sweet blue, I hear your song
I see you there, waiting.
And then I look down, to these mangled, cut wings,
and I cannot meet you yet in your depths.

but on the ground time will pass

And feathers will grow, and primaries heal,
down can be restored.
Time is not the great healer, but the sun is,
so on the ground I shall stay in the light.

Until the day, some day soon
the cuts will fade to mere scars.
And glossy feathers will be strong again
and my wings will once again be mine

And until that day,
until that day,
until that day
the sky will call…

those with wings were meant to soar

3 comments:

  1. Wow, very powerful. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to write a comment....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing is so powerful! And this one touched me very deeply.

    ReplyDelete